A Brief History of Lynnfield

In 1897 William Storm, a Master Mariner, and his wife Hannah Mary Storm commissioned the building of this dwelling and named it Lynnfield.

In 1942 Hannah Mary died and on the death of William Storm in 1950 the deeds of the house passed to their daughter, Elizabeth Law Taylor. She lived here with her husband Thomas Andrew Taylor. In 1955 Lynnfield was registered as a Bed and Breakfast establishment and was the first B&B in Robin HoodsBay. "Hot and Cold" was provided in guests rooms. Bookings were taken by mail or by contacting The Victoria Hotel which had a telephone.

In 1968 the property was registered in the name of their daughter Gwendoline Storm Randall, who had married a local man known as "Bish" Randall and they continued to run it as a bed and breakfast - probably until the late 1970s. They had no children and both lived into their 90’s. In their twilight years they confined themselves to a small part of the house: the downstairs kitchen, a ground floor bedroom and a first floor bathroom. Much of the rest of the house was left unattended. The house had thus remained the property of one family since being built and retained many original features such as skirting boards, stained glass, doors, architraves and plaster cornices. In the current dining room there is the original bell system which was still operational in 2011. The front doors, entrance hall and stairs are as originally conceived apart from one small detail. The stairs from the 1st floor landing to the ground floor were made less steep and extended into the hall following a fall by Hannah Storm.

The house has undergone extensive refurbishment and now provides 5 bedrooms, 2 lounges, a dining room, fullyequipped kitchen, patio and rear yard. All 1st and 2nd floor bedrooms have en suites and sea views . The ground floor bedroom has full en suite facilities, twin beds and polished wood floor.

Many of the original features have been retained and restored such as the high ceilings with original plaster cornices, tiled hallway, wooden architraves, stairways, skirting and pine wooden flooring. Some of the original doors have been recycled to use as doors to cupboards and en-suites. The front doors and entrance hall are original and have been restored and redecorated. Within these original features modern en suite facilities and safety requirements have been added to ensure you have a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

Lynnfield looks forward to welcoming you here to enjoy all that the area has to offer and to relax in the comfort of this excellently equipped and tastefully decorated house.

  • Lynnfield House
  • Lynnfield House
  • Lynnfield House
  • Lynnfield House
  • Lynnfield House